Wednesday, July 18, 2012

The Story of How We Met

My posts are long, I know...

The Story of How We Met

After my 7:30 math class one morning, I headed to the library to do my homework. Randomly out of no where, a boy studying nearby walked over and asked me in jumbled Portuguese-English if I was in his same math class and if I wanted to be study partners. "Ummm, sorry...what!?" He was hard to understand because I actually don’t understand Portuguese and he spoke really fast. After both feeling really stupid, he repeated himself. (Two things: #1. CHYA!! Where have you been all my life!?  #2. “Study partners” huh?! I wouldn’t mind a boyfriend!). I was flattered that he even noticed me in such an early and lame class that morning and that he wanted a piece of the Cara-pie. Then he said, “K cool, well I’ll see you in class then. It’s Cara, right?”  

We went to Crystal Hot Springs a few days later talking about his mission in Brazil and his recent homecoming. After realizing I was in the scope of a return-missionary, I knew we were probably on the same page as far as dating, so that was a plus. I thought it was extraordinary how outgoing he was, which was what got me interested in the first place. Later that night, he claims he attempted to hold my hand while watching Pride and Prejudice, but that is clearly a lie. He felt pretty shut down while I thought the opposite--that he was such a respectable guy to take things slow. 

The rest of the semester, we spent every day together. We couldn’t avoid each other even if we wanted to, so it’s a good thing we hit it off! We rode the bus together to school, studied together in the library, walked home every day together, went to church together, and always hung out after school.

Our first kiss was a disaster, as he aimed for my lips and I his cheek. I thought it was really funny how we totally butchered it and how it couldn't have been any more awkward. It wasn’t very romantic at all. Despite that, we became an official couple soon afterwards. I already knew I loved him by then and was pretty sure he did, too, but I wanted him to say it first. So I patiently (meaning anxiously) waited to hear it.

Our most memorable date was when we got stuck in Logan canyon in a blizzard and had to hitchhike for a ride back to civilization. A state trooper came to our rescue and dropped us off at a restaurant so we could call a tow truck. The lame tow truck got stuck, too though, and Braden and the man had to just push Braden’s car out with their muscles. Braden told me on this date that he was impressed that I didn’t get mad or freaked out and how I laughed it off. He felt pretty embarrassed while I thought he was really attractive trying to push the car out of the snow.  

 Us waiting to be picked up along the road

For Spring break, we took a road trip to Washington. We helped pick up my mom’s dogs up there and take them back to Utah for her. We toured Seattle and Bainbridge Island and my home town. It was a big milestone since we both got along so well the whole time (with some minor driving critiquing on my end).

 Driving to Washington

 Bainbridge Island

The future ahead was not as smooth sailing. From the beginning of the semester (just barely after meeting Braden), I was planning on spending the summer in Virginia for a once-in-a-lifetime nanny job. Well, during that same summer, Braden’s ex-girlfriend was to be returning from her mission. How convenient, right!? The man upstairs definately wanted to shake things up. I was torn because now I had Braden tied to my hip and we had never spent a day apart before, let alone an entire summer. AND apart from being so far away, I had to worry about the ex-girlfriend trying to take him back. It was definitely a test of my faith. I couldn’t turn down this opportunity awaiting me, though, and knew that if we could make it through the summer, then we were meant to be. Looking back at that experience, it gave me and Braden the chance to comprehend unconditional love and trust. He finally said I love you for the first time the day before I left, which I waited to hear for months! And then I was off.

 Hamptons with my nanny kids

My generous and awesome host-parents offered to fly Braden out to Virginia for a visit (I love you forever Cindy and Jackson Kemper!). We went rafting on the Shenandoah River, went to DC, Mt. Vernon, and out shopping and to dinner. When he came, he reminded me for the 800th time that all along, I had nothing to worry about and there was no competition. He even teased me about proposing to me during his visit, saying that the ring was somewhere in his suitcase and that it would happen that day when I least expected it (little pill! I wanted to kill him!). No, he didn’t actually bring the ring with him, but he did assure me that he already had plans for proposing to me very soon. From then on, we got serious about marriage-talk and started planning for the big day!

 WA DC

            Dinner at Palios

The day I came home from Virginia, Braden surprised me and proposed to me with a home-made slideshow he made. He had his roommate dress up as me for the pictures of some of our dates we didn't have pictures for. It was pretty hilarious.


We got hitched 3 months later on October 15, 2010. We got married in the Salt Lake City temple. We put off our getaway honeymoon for a better time (school was in session) and went on a honeymoon/1 year anniversary trip in Costa Rica last December 2011. That’s the story of our beginning. I am crazy for Braden and we are madly in love!! Yes, we have arguments and fights, but nothing comes between that spark we have, day in and day out. He is the most forgiving person out there and is everything I’m not—optimistic, good at math, even-tempered, gentle with words, tolerant, easily forgiving, naturally smart, really funny, and pure in heart. I don’t know how I got so lucky to marry someone like him. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Older Posts